Wellnesse just earned our B Corp certification, and we are ecstatic about it!
But we understand that this might not be clear what a B Corp certification means in terms of our business practices.
Our business model has a positive impact as determined by B Labs. What we do fits into the B Corporation mission to change the definition of business success. For B Labs, success means being a force for good and building a sustainable economy. To earn our B Corporation certification, we met the highest standards of social and environmental performance. Here's a breakdown of how it all works.
Who Can Be Certified B Corp?
There is some confusion when it comes to who can earn the certification.
Benefit corporations are not the same thing as being certified B Corp. Although both of these are standards for using business as a force for good in the world, these two standards differ in a major way. For the benefit corporation model, performance is self-reported. For a B Corp, there is a certification process that must be renewed every three years. Whereas a benefit corporation is a legal structure, B Corp is a third-party certification.
B Lab is a nonprofit itself. However, you don't need to be a nonprofit to qualify. The truth is that nonprofit businesses do not qualify. It's not that B Labs looks down on them. What nonprofits do for the world can be fantastic. But B Labs recognized that for-profit companies also should have a certified standard of helping the planet.
With that in mind, for-profit companies are encouraged to consider profits for stakeholders while still achieving the overall goal of the B Corp movement. Entrepreneurship is encouraged to also commit to corporate social responsibility, specific environmental performance, and sustainable business practices from the ground up.
The companies committed to doing this undergo an assessment. The B impact assessment determines the social impact, transparency, and sustainability of the business. Both small businesses and large ones can certify!
To understand the root of the B Corp movement better, here is their declaration in their own words.
The B Corp Declaration of Interdependence
"We envision a global economy that uses business as a force for good.
This economy is comprised of a new type of corporation - the B Corporation -
Which is purpose-driven and creates benefit for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.
As B Corporations and leaders of this emerging economy, we believe:
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
- To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations."
There are 4000 companies certified across 74 countries, all with this unifying goal.
How The B Impact Assessment Works
The assessment evaluates the entire company. The goal is to determine the operations and model of our business. Then they use the data gathered to understand how our business impacts workers, the environment, and the customers.
They take a look into everything from the supply chain to charitable giving and public transparency. The point is to consider how the business conducts itself now as well as promote growth in a positive direction in the future. B Labs encourages enterprises to consider stakeholder impact long-term and building these positive metrics into our legal structure.
Helpful Data from B Corp
Certified B corporations use the power of business to serve the goal of positive environmental impact and social impact. B Labs has gathered some helpful data to show a tangible difference in better business practices.
This data comes straight from them.
- B Corps outperform ordinary businesses by 15% on natural-resources conservation.
- B Corps are 87% more likely to monitor, record, and set scope 1 and 2 emissions reduction targets than ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 70% more likely to reduce the volume or toxicity of waste generated through material selection, production process, or product design than ordinary businesses.
- 98% of B Corps in manufacturing have incorporated energy-efficiency measures within their facilities.
- B Corps are 2.8x more likely to use 100% low-impact renewable energy than ordinary businesses.
- 77% of B Corps in agriculture have implemented water conservation practices.
- B Corps are 27% more likely to pay 100% of their hourly workers a living wage than ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 43% more likely to pay the majority of employee health insurance than standard businesses.
- B Corps are 20% more likely to have flex-time work schedules than standard businesses.
- 75% of US B Corps have incorporated some form of health care benefits that lessen the cost for their employees.
- B Corps with employees are ~2x more likely to be owned by people of color than American businesses generally
- B Corps with employees are ~6x more likely to be owned by women than American businesses commonly.
- B Corps are 9% more diverse than ordinary businesses.
How We Fit In With The Mission
At Wellnesse, we know the world is already too toxic. Our planet is poisoned with plastic chemicals, processed foods, and household items that deteriorate the health of families and the Earth.
Instead of standing by and letting our kids inherit all these issues, we decided to take a stand.
Because the thing is, our bodies absorb most of what we put on them.
Most toothpaste contains ingredients that go into acrylic paints and antifreeze. They use plastic beads as an abrasive for scrubbing. They use artificial sweeteners that can lead to behavioral issues. And this is all in the personal hygiene product that is supposed to go in our mouths.
Shampoos and conditioners use sulfates, dyes, and fragrances that are harsh chemicals and upset the balance our body needs.
We don't want anyone, especially not our kids, to absorb a lifetime of these toxins.
So, we created safe, more effective alternative personal care products. They are safe for you, safe for the planet, and packed with extra goodies for your body to absorb.
Replacing your toxic products with our all-natural personal care line will help you cut down on your family's toxin exposure by a significant amount. And we have been careful to package our collection in a way that gives back to the environment.
We've strived to attain and maintain sustainable business practices with both natural ingredients and packaging that doesn't damage the Earth.
That's why we are so excited about our B Corp certification. They recognized the hard work we've put into creating a sustainable business that is truly good for you and the planet.
Join us in making a cleaner, healthier world for our kids to grow up in. Enjoy shopping at Wellnesse, knowing that we certifiably care for you and the ground we all play on!